Friday, January 14, 2005

There is something unsettling about not being an avant garde, being shielded by the guys at the front, and not affording enough protection for those behind. I know the money is there, but I have not the means to get it. I can see a bit of it, but not all of it.

I don’t really know where all of this stuff comes from, constantly going by, some would say relentless. Every once in a while I catch a glimpse of a familiar face as he or she wanders by. Still, the monotony of it is broken by the unpredictability of how the turmoil plays out. The randomness of the turmoil is captured over time in a soothing mist, that, with a bit of patience is quite pleasant to see. One must see the forest to appreciate its overall simplicity.

The flow is quenching to some, but not me. It serves as a waster. Sure, I’m not really gone after it takes me away, just in a different form. At this rate, I’ll probably be taken away and thrown in the river before I get down to a nub. I don’t have it as difficult as the guys ahead of me, but hey, if you can’t afford a large wake, you tend to stick around a bit longer.

Don’t let me get you down, change is good. Maybe the keeper will move me around a bit to let me see more things – I wouldn’t mind being attached to the wall for a bit. Everyone should have a turn watching, at least there is nothing that will cause harm when watching.

Why do I always have to be so wet? My bottom is almost always submerged, and the top lightly misted, maybe to see if something will grow. Still, I’ve got it better than the smaller ones always under the water. I hear that there are hordes of them up above – not watchers mind you – they get the calm waters and nothing much ever changes. Poor bastards.

The transients are amusing. They come and go – such is the life of a transient. They follow the waterfall and get taken along for the ride. He’ll be gone in a while, maybe scooped away by the keeper for a bit of tidiness. Even the transients have an avant garde. Sticking his neck out to see what’s next. Maybe it’s a she, or an it, I don’t know. Do they even have a neck? Maybe I’ll say sticking its body out to see what’s next. I have a tendency to overanalyze things, there’s nothing better to do. I’ll probably be here longer than the current keeper. The last one was nice.

I see I’ve started to ramble, so I’ll let you go.

What the hell was that? Who am I, and where was this picture taken? Leave a comment to make a guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home